Thursday, February 4, 2016

WORD WEDNESDAY - Sweet Joy


My Word of the Year for 2016 is JOY!  Each week I will share in a "Word Wednesday" post as I discover the JOY in my life - and yours!



This week's title is, "Sweet Joy", and what better way to showcase that than a jar full of mini Snickers and Almond Joys - not a favorite of mine because it has coconut in it!

I found this cute idea on Pinterest - a perfect gift for a teacher; also a perfect image for my post today!

Please join me during this year-long journey...



Remember your childhood, being rewarded with ice cream or candy or some other sweet treat, perhaps for a "job well done"?  Oh, the first sweet taste...

Such Sweet Joy!

The other day while running errands, I suddenly started feeling hungry.  It was well past lunch time; but I had eaten a late breakfast.

So, I pulled into the parking lot at Arby's.  As I rounded the corner, this sign drew my attention:



Mint!  And Chocolate!

You had me at MINT...

But, then you added CHOCOLATE!

Yes, please!

So, I ordered a small sandwich and fries (like a good girl!); and decided to "reward" myself with a small Mint Chocolate shake.  After eating my sandwich and fries, I pulled the shake towards me...

That first slurp;

Mmmm!  Such Sweet Joy!

Every single slurp of that shake was sooooo good; and I (eventually) enjoyed every single bit of it!

At church on Sunday, words kept coming to mind for my Word Wednesday post.  I started jotting things down on the back of my bulletin.  My mind kept thinking - "Oh, taste and see..." - but I didn't know where these words came from; I just knew they were perfect for where my mind was going!

I asked a friend who is a pastor and she googled the words (of course!  Modern technology and all!!!)...




 As we prepared to partake of Communion, I found myself listening a bit more intently to the words and the prayers for the Bread and the Cup.

In our denomination - the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) - we partake of Communion every Sunday.  I love this tradition; but at times I've wondered if it becomes...well, perhaps less meaningful, having it every Sunday?

"While they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it he broke it, gave it to the disciples, and said,
'Take, eat; this is my body.' 
Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, saying,
'Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many and for the forgiveness of sins.' "  (from Matthew 26:26-28 NRSV).

As I listened to the Words of Institution the Pastor quoted, and repeated the highlighted portions along with the rest of the congregation, I thought about that mint chocolate shake that had tasted so wonderful just days earlier...

The sweet joy I felt while slurping that shake is nothing compared to the blessed "meal" we share every Sunday.  As I took the Bread and dipped it into the Cup, I thought how truly blessed we are!

Perhaps the "every week" tradition of Communion may become less meaningful; but on this particular Sunday, my eyes were opened to the blessings of our Savior.

Thank you, God, for our Lord and Savior who gave His life for us; and for the wonders of a special "meal" that satisfies the soul and gives us...

Mmmm!  Such Sweet Joy!



{And I must also share this:  when I decided to do a weekly post for a Word of the Year, I did not plan anything ahead.  I just jumped in, head first!  Or, was that feet?

Each week a topic or words just seem to start coming to me, usually a few days in advance of when I would need to start writing my post!

I thank God for these words and pray His continued guidance as I seek to share my words of JOY each week!  He is truly blessing me with these words!} 

14 comments:

  1. I love the 'joy notes' you received this week, Barbara! God is so good. I have an awesome recipie for chocolate mint brownies on my blog...I don't make it very often because Pedro isn't a big fan of mint, so that gives me the excuse to eat the whole pan ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out your choc mint brownie recipe!! I love that combination...yes, it seems each week, when I am not really sure where the "Joy" will lead me in my post...something comes up that works perfectly!!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing! My heritage is Christian Church too btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite welcome, Jeanie! I enjoy writing and glad I decided to do the word for the year.

      Good to find another Christian Church "disciple"!!

      Appreciate your reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Sweet Joy... great pairing with Psalm 34:8 :) Your post made me hungry for chocolate too - ha ha! Thanks for sharing Barbara!!! God is always ready with a blessing when our eyes & hearts are open to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I continue to be amazed...yet, I should NOT be! I have seen Him at work!!! Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  4. I'm also a lover of the combination of mint and chocolate. Most of the time when I make hot chocolate, which I do from scratch, I add a drop of peppermint oil to my cup. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like we have a group of mint and chocolate lovers!! And, I'm dying for a taste of that hot chocolate...wait...it's in the 60/70's around her; but, I bet it's yummy anytime!!!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!!

      Delete
  5. In our church, we only do this once in a while so it doesn't lose the meaning behind it. There is such a reverence that comes over the congregation when we move into partaking of Communion. But with you, it didn't lose anything at all by this weekly ritual. You found much more meaning this week, and tied it right in with your word. What a gift! You are a blessing. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words! I've never done a word for the year; and didn't think through...writing weekly or daily(?). And as I get to the end of the week and begin to think about a post for the next Wed., well, I don't think these things up all by myself! And, He always has a phrase or word or scripture for me to begin "chewing on"...oh, did I say "chewing on"??? Seems I've really gotten the attention of many with my mint chocolate shake!!!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. I seriously can't read this without smiling...CHOCOLATE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I HAVE managed to capture the attention of many...mint! And chocolate!! Hope you find some soon...

      Thanks, Bethany, for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. "I've got the joy joy joy joy, down in my heart! Where? Down in my heart! Where? Down in my heart! I've got the joy joy joy joy, down in my heart! Down in my heart to stay!"

      Yes, Susan, doesn't it make you wanna...SING!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read my post today! I appreciate your reading and commenting - your comments are a welcome encouragement for me to continue one of my favorite things - writing!

You are special to me; and your words help in more ways than I can number...Thank you just isn't enough!