Friday, March 6, 2015

Five Minute Friday - GATHER

It is almost Friday - and with that, another weekend; and another opportunity to link up with Kate for Five Minute Friday at http://katemotaung.com/ to write for only five minutes on a single word prompt!


Tonight's word is:


SO, here goes...

My first thought for the word "Gather" was getting together with family, as we gather around the table to share a meal.  No matter what the occasion, many memories are made together; and there is, of course, always a meal!



One of the most special times we gather as family is for a delicious Thanksgiving dinner!  In our family, when my children were young, we spent Thanksgiving at my mother and father's home; later, we gathered around the table at my home.

Now, my two daughters who live in the same town we do, trade off for us to gather at one of their homes.  My son, who lives about 12 hours away, usually comes to visit around Christmas, so we don't always spend Thanksgiving with everyone together - but at some point everyone is gathered around the table...

Last year was an awesome exception!  My son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter drove from Louisiana to Florida to spend a few days during Thanksgiving!

How awesome it was to  have all of my "children" and their children with us for this special occasion!

The word gather also reminds me of the hymn we sing at church around Thanksgiving, "We Gather Together":


I love this hymn!  Such beautiful words about God's blessings!

And reading these words again reminds me of yet another place where we gather for a special meal...

When we gather at the Lord's Table for the celebration of Holy Communion.

In our church - the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), we gather every Sunday to partake of Communion.  It is open to all believers, no matter what their background, as we share the Cup and the Loaf around the Lord's Table.

Thanks be to God for His amazing gift of love and life!




10 comments:

  1. Stopping by from FMF! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, a festive and warm gathering of those I love the most but see the least because of where life has taken us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, life does take us all in different directions! Wish my son and his family lived closer; but that's how it is. So we enjoy those times when we CAN get together. At times, we have met "half way" and enjoyed those times; but that always required a hotel stay which could get rather expensive!

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting...I read a few last night but was sooooo tired had to quit; but will get back with it in a bit!

      Delete
  2. "Gather" stirs up all sorts of memories- stopping by from FMF.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that hymn was the first thing that I thought about which led to Thanksgiving!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. What wonderful family memories! Stopping by from #fmf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jana! Isn't it wonderful to thing about those family memories?! These word prompts will do that for us...

      Appreciate your reading and commenting!

      Delete
  4. I love to gather for communion weekly too at church! We do that as well in the Episcopal church. :)
    I enjoy family meals so much, and I am thankful I grew up with them and still have them with my own family. Family meals are memorable and important. We live in a busy world...connection is so important! Your FMF Snail Mail buddy, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI JENN!!! Glad you stopped by...yes, those family gatherings. We always sat down for dinner together when I was growing up; then there were the visits with grandparents and sitting down to a meal with them. We did continue it with my children as well and have many memories of our family together...not only at meals, but other times as well!

      Our world IS busy and if we don't take that time to enjoy our family now...they may soon be gone. I was assuming I'd have my mom for many years to come - until she passed away unexpectedly in June 2012...yes, she was sick; but we didn't think it would end that quickly...thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  5. Ah, I love family gatherings above all else! How wonderful that you are now the gathering point for your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is true; but mostly we go to one of the daughters' homes since they have more room. But it IS surprising how many we can fit into this small apartment!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read my post today! I appreciate your reading and commenting - your comments are a welcome encouragement for me to continue one of my favorite things - writing!

You are special to me; and your words help in more ways than I can number...Thank you just isn't enough!