Saturday, March 7, 2015

Random Journal Day - March 6th

Today I am linking up with Dawn and others who follow her blog.  On Random Journal Day,  the first Friday of each month, we share an entry from one of our journals, whether it's yesterday's entry, or last months, or even one from several years ago...just share!


But, I am going to "do my own thing" today - yes, I am a rebel!

Today, I want to share something I have uncovered amongst a ton of things my mother left with me...

Instead of sharing an entry from my own journal, I want to share excerpts from two different sources...moments out of the life of a grandmother I never knew...and the mother my own mother never knew...

Back in the 1930's, there was no way of knowing; but her mother was pregnant - with twins!

They had planned the name of their new baby, my grandmother and grandfather.  If the child was a boy, he would be "William Lenard" after their father; and if it was a girl, she would be named "Fredrika" after their mother.

So, keeping with those names, the twins were William and Fredrika, later nicknamed "Billy" and "Betty".

Today I wanted to share from two of the documents I uncovered after my mom passed away (June 2012) as I was going through all of the "stuff" she had left with me.

First, I'll share what I call "Fred's Last Letter" dated December 29th, just one day before what would be her last...

From Little Rock to Memphis
Cir. 1930

(This is the actual letter that I found in that huge box of "stuff" along with the second document, which I'll share in a moment.)

My grandmother, Fredrika "Fred" Moore, wrote her sister,

"I am all in today, haven't been feeling good for so long but have been worse since Xmas night.  The Dr. said I would go till the 17th but I don't see how."

Little did she know what just one day would hold for her...

The letter was full of thanks for gifts that had been sent by Fred's sister; and apologies for not getting anything sent to them.  She added,

"Hope Dad liked what we sent him." 

(He was my Great Grandfather)!

Fred listed what she received from her husband, my grand father William; or "Billy", as she called him.  And what my Aunt Loyce, my mom's older sister, received.

(Here I must confess at first I didn't know who "Loyce" was!  Yes, I knew my mother's sister; spent many days with my aunt and uncle and two cousins!  But, I always knew her as "Lois"!!  I had to repeat that name - "Loyce" - several times before it clicked!)

And near the end of that last letter, she wrote, "I can't hardly wait to see some of you all.  Am hungry for the sights."

The next day she gave birth to a little boy and a little girl;


William and Fredrika Moore
Born December 30, 1930

And lost her life giving birth to them.

My mom shared many stories about the problems associated with a man who was left with two new born babies, as well as another child; and how he had to depend on other relatives to help raise them.  She shared about the days spent in a Catholic orphanage until, as teenagers, her brother went to live with their father and his new wife, and she went to live with their older sister and her family.

(Again a confession; I just wish I had shared many more stories with my mother before she passed.  And, there are so many photos I have come across that I have no idea who they are or where they were taken).

But, I never dreamed I'd discover these precious documents; a letter in my grandmother's own handwriting; and the second document: 

...A two-page typed message, "In Memoriam", that was given at the memorial service for my grandmother, Mrs. W. L. "Fred" Moore, by F. A. Lehman, their minister.

Below are excerpts from that memoriam:

In Memoriam
Mrs. W. L. Moore
December 30, 1930

God is love - - God is love

Almost at the time of the birth of Christ, two new lives entered the world, and almost at the dawning of the New Year, the mother, who gave them her all, entered into a new life beyond.

We were in the nursery and the little girl gave a cry -- said the nurse, "I waited a long time for that cry last night; I was afraid it would never come;" and we longed to take the babe in our arms and hold her close, but the nurse of a new born baby is all powerful and we didn't quite dare to ask.

Then we turned to the boy, so perfect, one hand closed, asleep.  It was a big price to pay, said someone.  Suddenly the babe opened his hand, stretched it upward, gave a long sigh and settled back to sleep...

...It was worth while; in her death she gave life; all she had of life and strength she contributed to the next generation--the highest gift life holds and a woman's peculiar mission.

In our sadness at parting from her in this life, we can glory in the crown of her womanhood, and pray for courage to continue to face life bravely, and touch life and live life even as she did, and leave our mark upon it, while we have our being.

We do not know why, in God's wisdom, she was not permitted to stay with her loved ones but we do know, that in the end, the love poured out upon these little ones, will bring healing to aching hearts.  Long thoughts must have been hers in the long months and what pleasure the visits and little attentions of friends must have given her.  Her last thoughts were for her loved ones and the time when she should be back at church."

Both of these documents will be treasured; connection to the Grandmother I never knew, who bore the Mother I treasure...

"I thank my God every time I remember you..."  (Philippians 1:3)

Almost two years after my mom passed away in June 2012, I read the book "Heaven is for Real"  by Todd Burpo; and wrote these words in my journal dated May 11, 2014 - Mothers' Day!

"So, after reading the book "Heaven is for Real"...I know that Mom has been reunited with Dad, and they are dancing their way across heaven, as Don (my brother) said at her service.

But, it has also occurred to me that she is reunited - has met - the mother she never knew!!  It all gives me hope!!"

When my mother passed away, we were comforted in knowing she was reunited with my father who has been gone since July 1990.

How blessed I was on that special Mothers' Day to realize...

My mother was also reunited with her mother, too!


  


So, I did what I was supposed to do for Random Journal Days, after all that; I wrote from my own journal!

Until next month!



26 comments:

  1. Oh, you rebel! What a wonderful and exciting discovery, Barbara! The words that have been saved and passed on to you to discover. Makes me consider what I have left behind in words and letters. Something to consider, yet still trust God in.
    This story you share left me breathless. What an amazing gift and lovely heritage to be part of! "Perhaps you might take measures to have the letter properly preserved/saved so it does not disintegrate with time. Thank you so much for taking the time to share these personal and precious memories...even the ones you did not get to experience for yourself, but only can live through the words of others! Glorious gift, indeed! And now that story touches many as prophesied...(sort of) . fulfilled prophecy that you were part of a love-filled prophecy! " but we do know, that in the end, the love poured out upon these little ones, will bring healing to aching hearts" , so powerful our utterances, that God would allow them to be brought to fruition. Glory is all over this beautiful post. Also I love the way you bring it all full circle so nicely...and how God has gifted you with peace, joy and assurance of the Salvation and Hope we share! Thanks for being first! Hooray! I still have to write my post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn! I wasn't sure about sharing this particular post; but felt the story needed to be shared! One day, maybe my children, or even siblings, will feel the pull to read this and other posts I have written about my mother.

      You read so much into my words; and I can only feel God has placed them on my heart, and guides my fingers as I type the words I will share.

      (I am drafting out the post for RJD in May...do I write it on my post as well, or just send to you to put on yours?!).

      Delete
  2. Hi Barbara, it looks like you linked twice...lol- like twins! I will delete one of the posts to keep from confusion! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, not sure what happened; but thanks for deleting the second one!!

      Delete
  3. What a treasure to find such heritage tucked away in aged envelopes and handwritten letters! I remember finding an old poem that my grandmother penned before she lost her sight... and just yesterday, my father - who is almost always silent - was chatty and talking nonstop about memories and telling stories I had never heard before! I am so thankful that I pushed aside my To Do List and just soaked them in! Thanks for the reminder to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Karrilee! It IS a treasure; and there is more to find as I go through the last two bins! Hold onto those memories; your grandmother's poem...the stories you father shared. Find a way to get it down in writing to share with those yet to be! I have so much I want to share...I need to get it together in a better way!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  4. Barbara: These finds of yours are very special. The joy felt at the birth of two babies and the sadness of the loss of the life of the one who birthed them comes through. My own grandmother died a few days after my dad was born. It always bothered me that I didn't get to know her. One of my great aunts was visiting the family of another great aunt,both sisters of my grandmother. The visiting one took one look at me and called me by my grandmother's name. In my living room I have my grandmother's cedar chest- a hope chest. It was the main thing I wanted from my dad's house when we had to clear it out as we prepared for an auction when we had to put him in a nusring home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very special finds; and for you to be called by your grandmother's name - as one who most likely looked JUST LIKE HER to that other aunt...priceless!! And so happy to hear you were able to get her cedar chest. I have several pieces that my grandfather made...either with me or at one of my daughters' homes since I am in a small apartment. But, at least I know they are within the family!

      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  5. What a treasure you have discovered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a treasure indeed! Need to preserve them in a scrapbook or something; but at least I have this story preserved...

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. Wow, this is truly a found treasure, I agree with all the other commenters! Thanks for sharing it with us! I am still unsure about leaving my journals and old letters for others to read or not. May need to do some weeding out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my journals are "out there"; and I've told my children (now adults) that IF they read them, it as at their own risk of perhaps finding their names included...somewhere along the lines! But, most of what I am sharing on Random Journal Days, or any other blog posts are things that I am OK with sharing!!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  7. Hi Barbara! LOVED this post! I have a passion for history and especially the stories of the men and women who lived in other eras. I'm blessed to have my grandmother's collection of every greeting card she ever received since 1925. She's gone now. But sorting through those cards with little notes from her children--one of them my father--all of whom are in their 80's now . . . I am transported. That's what you did with this post. It's a great story. Oh--how sad to have missed her mother in life, but reunited after her passing into New Life. The letter written the day before she died is especially touching. So much hope - unfullfilled. So sad. So thankful for the Lord's return when all such losses will truly be a thing of the past.
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! I am just discovering some things; even more things than I know what to do with at this point in time. But as I continue to go through these things, I am putting them aside to preserve, put into some form or other - haven't decided what yet!

      My only regret is that I didn't write more things down; and that my mother AND father, my grandparents (fathers parents) and my grandfather (mothers father), and mother's older sister...are ALL gone. And as I come across photos of people I do not know...there just really isn't anyone that can help identify them - except possibly my 2 cousins who are OLDER - and my mother's brother who is still living.

      Thanks for reading and commenting...my mind is wandering all over the place trying to figure out what to do with these things!!!

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful treasure you have in these precious things your mother left for you! What a beautiful story too! I'm not one for obituaries usually, but that "in memoriam" was so very touching. Your grandmother left a precious legacy in those twins and in you! Genealogy is one of my passions because I love a good story. I haven't had a lot of luck unearthing many of my own stories, but I'll keep searching. The birthdates and locations are good things, but the stories are really what inspire me -- my family's stories and those of others. It's one of the reasons I absolutely love that show Who Do You Think You Are? and the PBS series Genealogy Roadshow. Have you ever seen those? Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they ARE wonderful and precious things; and there's more to go through...and I am wanting to pull it all together; perhaps a story of our heritage, even if just for our family!

      I've seen the Who Do You Think You are? stories; not sure about the PBS show...but I love looking into our ancestry, but haven't really dug very deeply. I actually named this post "A Mother's Legacy" which would be a perfect title to a chapter in my book...hmmmmmm!!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!!

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful, touching post. I have gotten into some genealogy the past few years and I think it is fascinating to hear the stories. I love how you have preserved the memories and history of your family in a post, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the more I think about preserving this (and other) post(s), the more I feel as if I should write it into a book, even if just for our family...and that thought is sticking in my brain...now, to actually get it done?!

      Thanks for reading and commenting...and how are things with YOU!!

      Delete
  10. Everyone has said what I thought. Joy sand sadness mixed. I was thinking about the difficult life your Mom and her brother must have had without a mommy, living first in an orphanage, then separated. They never really knew their own family. That's sad. Still you represent her larger family as a full, loving one. I'm glad you found this treasured letter, that your mother kept it, that you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, joy and sadness...I had trouble getting this post written, as a couple of others that I wrote concerning my mother and our heritage. I had to stop a few times and it actually took me a few days to get it completed. I didn't want to leave the story dangling...

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  11. How very moving ... And I am filled with sadness that she died, having given birth to two such beautiful children. And so hard for them all without her ... You have told it with great delicacy and sincerity, and how lovely to share your joy in the thought of those reunions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alexa! It is a sad story; but the moment I thought about the fact that my mother would actually get to meet (has met) her mother in the after life...that brought joy and hope and peace to me in knowing she would not be alone!

      Appreciate the comment, and the compliment as to how I told the story. I shared this post link with my brothers and our family and hope it will serve as part of our legacy and the story of our family.

      Delete
  12. How very, very cool, to find this.

    And oddly enough, my birthday is December 30. (But a few years later than 1930!)

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2015/03/gather-good-marriage-five-minute-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Andrew! I thought it was very cool too; and was happy to share it...how coincidental/odd/whatever that your b'day is also Dec. 30th!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  13. Barbara- Just now getting to read all the RJD posts for March. I am so glad you went your own way this month and blessed us with your story and the beautiful glimpses into your grandmother's sacrifice to birth your mom and uncle. And the precious realization that they are reunited now! God is so good, even in the difficult times of our histories...his stories, really...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for going back and reading the RJD posts for March! I find myself getting behind in the reading; and trying to catch up with the writing!

      Yes, these glimpses into my grandmother's life are part of our history...and I agree, HIS stories!!

      Thanks for reading and posting your comment!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read my post today! I appreciate your reading and commenting - your comments are a welcome encouragement for me to continue one of my favorite things - writing!

You are special to me; and your words help in more ways than I can number...Thank you just isn't enough!