Friday, July 22, 2016

WORD WEDNESDAY - "I Call it Joy"



Found on Pinterest
Shared by etsy.com


This year I am choosing JOY...

But, what IS JOY?

Where does JOY come from?

In "Surprised by Joy," C. S. Lewis says:

"I call it Joy, which is here a technical term and must be sharply distinguished both from Happiness and from Pleasure.  Joy (in my sense) has indeed on characteristic, and one only, in common with them:  the fact that anyone who has experienced it will want it again.

"Apart from that, and considered only it its quality, it might almost equally well be called a particular kind of unhappiness or grief.  But, then it is a kind we want.

"I doubt whether anyone who has tasted it would ever, if both were in his power, exchange it for all the pleasures in the world.  But then Joy is never in our power and pleasure often is."



I am certainly not an expert on C. S. Lewis; nor am I an expert on Joy!

And, I won't even try to interpret what Lewis was trying to say.  



Joy is not Happiness, nor is it Pleasure.  

But, Joy is that bubbly feeling one gets from the Happiness or the Pleasure they receive.



And, according to Joy from the movie "Inside Out", Joy is Everything!

Joy is a passion and can be described by many other words such a "excitement"; "gladness", "exultation", and "exhilaration"...


Found on Pinterest
Shared by etsy.com

Some mighty big words to describe that feeling we all have from time to time; hopefully, many times!

Yet, Joy is a mighty big emotion!!

And, Joy is also an assurance that God has it all under control...

Found on Pinterest
Shared by etsy.com


Joy is all around us; and I choose Joy because I'd rather be joyful than to be unhappy and sad!

I find Joy in the smiles of my grandchildren; the giggles and laughter I hear when they are around.  I find Joy in watching as my two daughters share with each other...not like they in their "childhood", but as they do in their "adulthood".  I find Joy watching children and dancing and singing and happy movies on TV.  And, I find Joy connecting with many friends through my hobbies of scrapbooking, cardmaking and other crafts, and that of writing and blogging.

Today I Choose Joy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read my post today! I appreciate your reading and commenting - your comments are a welcome encouragement for me to continue one of my favorite things - writing!

You are special to me; and your words help in more ways than I can number...Thank you just isn't enough!