Wednesday, July 6, 2016

WORD WEDNESDAY - Sing for Joy




During the summer, we are studying the Psalms and how they relate to the hymns we sing.  Last week in our Adult Sunday School class, we were asked this question:

"Why do we sing?  Why do God's people sing in worship?"

Of course there were a lot of very valid answers to this question!  My answer fits perfectly with my Word for the Year:

"We sing because we are joyful and want to praise God for that joy.  We sing because of our gratitude to God."

Which brings us back to the "formula" I shared last week:


Grace + Thanksgiving = Joy

The psalmist had a lot to say about singing and shouting for joy.  Let's take a look at a few of the Psalms:


"O come, let us sing to the Lord;
let us make a joyful noise to
the rock of our salvation!
Let us come into his presence
with thanksgiving;
let us make a joyful noise
to him with songs of praise."
Psalm 95:1-2 (NRSV)

Found on Pinterest



"Sing aloud to God our strength;
shout for joy to the God of Jacob."
Psalm 81:1 (NRSV)












There are many more psalms that speak of singing and shouting and lifting praises to God.  There are many that seek God in the midst of our sorrow.

So, why do you sing?

"I sing because I'm happy; I sing because I'm free!  For His eye is on the sparrow; and I know He watches me!"

No matter if I am happy or sad; joyful or not...

I will lift my voice to the heavens, for "I know He watches me" just as He does that little sparrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read my post today! I appreciate your reading and commenting - your comments are a welcome encouragement for me to continue one of my favorite things - writing!

You are special to me; and your words help in more ways than I can number...Thank you just isn't enough!