Saturday, July 30, 2016

"Your Perfect Day" - Prompt 14/21


I admire Elisabeth Elliot - wife of Jim Elliot who was savagely killed along with others trying to witness to them.

For today's prompt, "Your Perfect Day", Dawn suggested a few quotes from Elisabeth Elliot as a jumping off board for our writing...

I will wait to title my post after I see where the writing leads; but have chosen this quote to get me started:

Found on Pinterest
Shared by Facebook.com

Elisabeth Elliot said it about the life of faith; it is to be lived "one day at a time."

Back in the 70's and 80's, the sit com "One Day at a Time" portrayed the life of a divorced mother (Bonnie Frankin) raising her two teenage daughters (Mackenzie Phillips and Valerie Bertinelli).  Each episode showed their lives dealing with their situation...

Much as I dealt with mine when I was also a divorced mother; but my children were much younger, at 4 and 6 years old.  It was still necessary to live life "one day at a time."

The lyrics of the theme song for the show says that they will "muddle through one day at a time;" 


But, there's a gospel song that says it even better; here are a few lines that hit home for me with this prompt:

"I'm only human, I'm just a woman,
Help me believe in what I could be
And all that I am.

"One day at a time,sweet Jesus;
That's all I'm askin' from You.
Just give me the strength
To do every day what I have to do.

Cheatin' and stealin';
there's violence and crime.
So for my sake, teach me to take
One day at a time."


I am only human; just a woman trying to understand who I am, what I could (or should) be!  I just need God and or Jesus to give me the strength I need.  There's so much violence right now, and crime and... well, it's hard to think that anything could even come close to being perfect.

The last verse to the gospel song may be a clue:

"Yesterday's gone, sweet Jesus;
And tomorrow may never be mine.
Lord, help me today,
Show me the way
One day at a time."





God's Word says in Matthew 6:34:  "So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.  Today's trouble is enough for today." (NRSV)



Elisabeth Elliot said it this way in the quote at the beginning of this post:  "It is today for which we are responsible.  God still owns tomorrow."

Isn't that how it should be?  We take care of the "today" that we have; and leave our "tomorrow" in God's hands!

 So, as to "Your Perfect Day"...(or my perfect day)?

Every day would be my perfect day because I wouldn't be dwelling on the past, or worrying about the future...

I'd be living my life to the fullest...

One Day at a Time!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read my post today! I appreciate your reading and commenting - your comments are a welcome encouragement for me to continue one of my favorite things - writing!

You are special to me; and your words help in more ways than I can number...Thank you just isn't enough!