Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Day 13 - Symptoms of Vascular Dementia

Today I will share the Symptoms of Vascular dementia as found on the Internet at www.alz.org/dementia.  But first, a little bit of “general” information regarding the symptoms:

"Symptoms can vary widely, depending on the severity of the blood vessel damage and the part of the brain affected.  Memory loss may or may not be a significant symptom depending on the specific brain areas where blood flow is reduced.  Impaired judgment or ability to make decisions, plan or organize is more likely to be the initial symptom, as opposed to the memory loss often associated with the initial symptoms of Alzheimer's."

It is not unusual for one to have both Alzheimer's disease and Vascular dementia at the same time.  When any two or more types of dementia are present at the same time, the individual is considered to have "mixed dementia."

“Vascular dementia symptoms may be most obvious when they happen soon after a major stroke. Sudden post-stroke changes in thinking and perception may include:

*Confusion
*Disorientation
*Trouble speaking or understanding speech
*Vision loss
*These changes may happen at the same time as more familiar physical stroke symptoms, such as a sudden headache, difficulty walking, or numbness or paralysis on one side of the face or the body.
*Multiple small strokes or other conditions that affect blood vessels and nerve fibers deep inside the brain may cause more gradual thinking changes as damage accumulates.  Common early signs of widespread small vessel disease include impaired planning and judgment; uncontrolled laughing and crying; declining ability to pay attention; impaired function in social situations; and difficulty finding the right words."


Once we had the diagnosis of Vascular dementia, and I began researching the disease and its symptoms, I was able to look back and see how my husband's characteristics and behavior were "spot on" with some of these symptoms.

Please join me tomorrow when I will share specific characteristics and behaviors that my husband exhibited, in my post titled "Remembering When..."

2 comments:

  1. OMG thought I lost you, changed name of the Blog. LOL**
    looking forward to reading more - I am afraid I'm seeing same with my husband....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still here; just wasn't really "feeling" the name I had first used for my blog (I am new at this and was really just playing around when I originally set it up). Sorry to hear that you feel your husband is on this same "journey". Hope that what I am sharing is helpful...I would definitely recommend you buy the book, the 36-Hour Day - it has been such a big help to me! I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. Thank you for joining us on this journey...

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read my post today! I appreciate your reading and commenting - your comments are a welcome encouragement for me to continue one of my favorite things - writing!

You are special to me; and your words help in more ways than I can number...Thank you just isn't enough!