Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Simple Woman's Daybook - January 18, 2016


Linking up with


FOR TODAY
January 18, 2016



Outside My Window:  A nice breeze, almost 60 degrees at 3:oo pm; the sun is shining and it's a gorgeous day!


I am Thankful for:  My family; I want to hold them closer and closer because you just don't know when your time will come...

I'll share more of that feeling later...

In My Kitchen:  Dishes to be washed; laundry to go into the dryer...guess I'd better go do that...

I am Wearing:  Jeans and a dark purple shirt with a flower, a palm tree, and a star fish; and my crocs!


I am Creating:  Spent time with my daughter last Friday working on a couple of her projects to share on their Disney cruise in March.  Also, figured out a design for my card swap...a "Thinking of You" card.


I am Thinking About:  How quickly life can be taken away...


I am Praying for:  The family of our church member whose memorial service was held today...


I am Going: {Have Gone...} to church to help prepare for a reception following a memorial service; and singing with the choir during the service.


I am Wondering:  When my life is over, what will I be remembered for?  Will I leave a legacy of love and faithfulness and loyalty; or one of hatred and neglect and indifference?  I wonder...


I am Reading:  Over half-way through "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand.  It is an excellent book!  Even though I am not that much of a historian, it is an interesting read.  Almost a "can't put it down" kind of book; but it is hard to keep reading about what happened to these POW's back in WW2.



I am Excited for:  A scrapbook retreat coming up the first weekend of February...excited, but not ready!

I am Learning:  To hold onto those you love; hug them a lot, while you can; tell them how you feel, while you can!  Life does not give us guarantees that we will be here tomorrow or the next day or the next...

In an instant, our life can be over.  Make it count while you can!


I am Hearing:  The TV; of course!  Doesn't matter that it is after 3:00 pm and hubby has decided to "take a nap"...he left the TV on!

A Quote for Today:  During the memorial service today, the minister shared a lot of "golfing" stories; it seems our church member was an avid golfer, playing often with his friends of many many years!

He was 90 years old!  {Last week when I made reference to a member who had died as a result of a car accident, I erroneously stated he was "in his 80's"}.

The minister ended his message with these words (my para-phrase):

"When leaving his friends after playing a round of golf on Saturday, he said, 'I'm going home now...'

"And, he did."

{On his way home from this golf outing, he was hit by a car driving almost 100 mph.  The 18-year-old driver of that car died at the scene.  He was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.  He died on Sunday night...

If you wish to read the newspaper report on this accident, click here.}

A Scripture Thought:  The 23rd Psalm (KJV); one of the scriptures used in today's memorial service.

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;
He leadeth me beside the still waters;
He restoreth my soul.
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil; for thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff - they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of  my life,
And I will dewll in the house of the Lord for ever."

I am Pondering:  Today we celebrate the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.  I can't leave this post without a quote that a friend posted earlier:  "Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve.  You don't have to make your subject and ver agree to serve.  You only need a heart full of grace.  A soul generated by love."

Ponder that thought...


And join me next week for another Simple Woman's Daybook.





7 comments:

  1. You had me at 60degrees! ;) Sorry for your loss... those sudden unexpected ones are always so difficult. Praying for your church family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karrilee; he will surely be missed...and yes, the unexpected ones ARE difficult - not to make other deaths any less difficult! Appreciate your reading and commenting; and prayers are appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful way to list events and blessings in your life. I have not heard of the Simple Woman's Daybook before but I imagine going through this exercise is very freeing. Blessings on your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! This is one of my favorite blogs to follow; I think the prompts are what drew me to it...for a while it seemed to be very repetitive; so I only did it every other week. But, I kinda missed linking up and writing it and have now gone back to weekly! Appreciate your reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. Quite a story..."I'm going home....." I mailed the box of scrapping books today - media mail. You should get them in about a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was so impressed with how the minister wove the golfing and that final statement into his message...little did our friend know when he stated that he was "going home" which home he would be going to! Thanks for reading...will look for the package in about a week!

      Delete
  4. (from one Barbara to another) Beautiful blog post you've written here. Such true thoughts that we all need to ponder. I am sorry for your loss but your have expressed well our need to make every day count and to treasure deeply the people the Lord has put into our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read my post today! I appreciate your reading and commenting - your comments are a welcome encouragement for me to continue one of my favorite things - writing!

You are special to me; and your words help in more ways than I can number...Thank you just isn't enough!