Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Gifts Found in May 2015 - Part 4

Moving on to the final part of Gifts Found in May 2015; check out Part 1,  Part 2 and Part 3.

May 25th
3 Gifts Hard Giving Thanks for


1.  The Gift of Love - Almost 32 years ago, I married - who I thought was - the man of my dreams.

My dreams became nightmares, or at least uncertainty.  Not wanting another divorce or separation, I stuck it out...and in a little over two months, we will celebrate 32 years of marriage.

Hard giving thanks for?  Some days, I find it hard to remember why I even fell for him!

Loneliness?  Financial security?  A "father figure" for my kids?

I don't know!  And I don't know if he was "the one" God would have led me to...

or did He lead me to him, even though I wasn't acting like a responsible Christian woman.  I'm not sure - but He is using me in this relationship, as a (now) caregiver...and this may be the reason we are together.

It is not all about me being a caregiver because he is also a help to me - and for that, I should be thankful; but it is hard.

Oh, God, it is hard because ... well, I am frustrated and so tired of how he is with me!  OK...this is not where I let all my thoughts out!  It is supposed to be about GIFTS!!

Thank you, God, for a person who drives me crazy, but helps in so many ways!
25th Anniversary Cruise
November 2008
at Bandito's Lobster House
Costa Maya, the Bahamas

2.  The Gift of Life - Though is has been almost 17 years, I still remember September 16, 1998 - the day I was attacked while working at the church.

Each year that goes by, the memory fades a little more...

Yet, it is still very vivid in my mind.

Eventually, I did forgive the attacker, who is in prison serving multiple life sentences for a number of crimes.

Forgive him, yes!  Otherwise I'd continue being his victim.  Forget, no!  The memory will continue each subsequent year, fading a bit each year; yet, never completely fading ...

but, be grateful for the incident?

No...that is hard ... but, I can be thankful for many things surrounding the incident:  for the many who prayed for me; visited me; brought food, cards, gifts, money; who helped us in so many ways; for the church who supported me in "recovery"; stayed with me so I could continue to work and feel safe ... 

So much to be thankful for; like my life!

God was not ready to bring me home; and I am thankful for that - and for me, this is hard to do ... to give thanks for what happened to me was hard; but now, as I look back on it?  Yes, I am thankful! 

3.  The Gift of Loss - Give thanks for a loss?  Consider loss a GIFT from God?

At the time of a loss, we probably would not think of it as a gift; and would find it hard giving thanks for - "Thank you, God, for the loss of ..."

Not easy for sure!

but, looking back on the loss of my job a few years ago, and where I am now ...

I'd have to say, "Thank you, God!  You know where I needed to be for the plans you have for my life!"

May 26th
A Gift Worn, White, Whispered

The Gift of Sharing Time - Friends sharing a card class together, whispering in between our instructions; sharing our craft, our lives, our time!

Whispered thoughts as we sit side by side like two kids playing paper dolls - because we were!

May 27th
3 Gifts Found in Church

1.  The Gift of Music - So much is felt in music...love, joy, happiness, sorrow, death;

And music, no matter how you feel, touches the heart.  Music speaks to me sometimes more than anything else.

2.  The Gift of Community - The Church, itself, is a community; and within that communnity are many smaller communities -

The choir, Sunday school classes, youth, women's and men's groups;

Even a Sunday "lunch bunch" proved community.

3.  The Gift of Sanctuary -  The Church building has a sanctuary - a larg beautiful "room" full of high ceilings, chandeliers, stained glass windows, a piano and an organ, pews for attendees, a choir loft, a pulpit...

All this and more make up the sanctuary.

But ...

"Lord, prepare me,
to be a Sanctuary ..."

What am I ... "to be a Sanctuary"?  A Sanctuary can be a place of refuge - of safey.

As Herman Hesse says:
 



"Lord, prepare me,
to be a Sanctuary,
pure and holy,
tried and true.
With thanksgiving,
I'll be a living,
Sanctuary, for you."

Yes, Lord!  Thank you, Lord!  May it be so!!


May 28th
3 Gifts in Today's Work

1.  The Gift of Nourishment - Not really much "work" to be done when you are retired.  And, there only being two of us at home, I don't cook every night!  I am an OK cook; but it isn't my fave thing to do!

Tonight, I cooked a Cheesy Egg Shell Pasta - Hamburger Helper - and toasted bread.  Maybe not the most nourishing; but we ate 'til full.

2.  The Gift of Wandering Thoughts - There are times I want to empty my thoughts and be open to hear God's voice.

Other times I just want to let my thoughts wander here and there...

Washing dishes - by hand - is what I call a "mindless job", and it's a great time to just let my thought go...

3.  The Gift of Cleanliness - Now, I would not call myself a great housekeeper; not even a good one...doing laundry is another one of those "mindless jobs" that allows my thoughts to wander.  It is also one that I can start, do other things, then complete.

God wants us to live a clean life; to have a "clean heart"; to BE CLEAN in our thoughts.  Lord, help me to BE CLEAN!

May 29th
A Gift at 8 am, 12 pm, 8 pm

8 am - The Gift of Rest - With my head pounding, my ear aching, and a scratchy throat, I turned over - not sure what time it was - and fell back asleep 'til around 8:30 am.  The rest I needed came easily!

12 pm - The Gift of Friendship - How fund to look forward to an afternoon and evening crafting with friends.  The gift of friendships is one I am truly grateful for - 

8 pm - The Gift of Surprise Visits - A visit from Cathy, Justin and Bash - unexpectedly while I was scrapbooking - always a welcome event, and always sure to put a smile on my face ... no matter how tired I am!

May 30th
3 Gifts Blue

1.  The Gift of Connection - When I first turn on my computer, I see a blue "welcome" screen; then it brightens to a colorful desktop background.  The welcome invites me in to places where I will connect with my online friends!


This is my Desktop Photo!
Art work by 
Candy Waters Autism Artist

2.  The Gift of God's Masterpieces - Looking up today, I see the beautiful blue sky, a few grey clouds and more white clouds.  The sky helps me focus on the handiwork of God...and I am in awe.

3.  The Gift of Prayer - A hand-made blue prayer shawl was given to me by a friend during a rough time; and it also comes in handy when I get a bit chilly in the evenings.  I also have a purple one on my chair whre I do my morning devotions.
May 31st
3 Gifts You Gave Today

1.  The Gift of a Tip - Is leaving a tip for my hair cut part of the payment, or is it a gift given?

With the coupon I had, it was only $10.99, so I left $5.01 for the tip (I actually meant to leave a $4.01 tip, rounding it off to $15, since I usually leave a $5.00 tip).

With our vacation coming up, I was trying to watch what I spent...well, I guess it will work out!

So, I guess I gave an extra $1 gift today?!

2.  The Gift of Voice - I am questioning my gifts again!  Today, I "lent my voice" to the Choir...

Actually, I use to sing with our church choir, until I was having so much coughing and bronchial issues;

Now, I sit in the congregation and mouth the words to the songs the choir sing...

Today, I sang with them for the first time in quite a long time because someone asked me to, and I knew the song they were singing.

Is this a "gift I gave"?  I think it was!

3.  The Gift of Praying for Others - As I was walking to my car after Church, I saw a familiar face - a friend who is battling cancer; currently under-going treatments.

His Facebook posts are so uplifting and he is showing such a positive attitude with the news he received just a few short months' ago.

I gave him a big hug, and he squeezed a hug back...no words; just a silent assurance of continued prayers lifted for him, and a thank you for his inspiring words and thoughts.



May has come to an end!  Continuing into the month of June 2015!  

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Barbara.....you are so brave (May 25th entry)....Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Helen!...(Boy! I just read back over that May 25th entry; I sure didn't do a very good job proof-reading!!!...I need to edit!!).

    Appreciate your reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read my post today! I appreciate your reading and commenting - your comments are a welcome encouragement for me to continue one of my favorite things - writing!

You are special to me; and your words help in more ways than I can number...Thank you just isn't enough!