Tuesday, December 23, 2014

4th Sunday of Advent - LOVE

RECEIVING is LOVE



The third verse from the hymn we are using this Advent Season, When God Is a Child" says:

"LOVE is a flame that burns in our heart.
Jesus has come and will never depart.
When God is a child there's joy in our song;
The last shall be first and the weak shall be strong,
and none shall be afraid."


Acts 20:35 - In all this I have given you an example that byt such work we must support the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus, for he himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' "

This scripture from Acts is one in which Paul is speaking to the Ephesian Elders; most of the time, we hear only the "...more blessed to give than to receive" part of this scripture!



And it IS a blessing to be able to give to others...we in turn are blessed!

But...

To RECEIVE from others - the LOVE they so willingly give - is such an awesome feeling...for in the sharing of their love, we are blessed; and so are they!

It works both ways...

when we give, we are blessed!  When we receive, we are blessed!

Either way, BOTH are BLESSED!


Yesterday during our Advent Candle-lighting, a young woman shared memories as a teenager of coming home to find her mother had been murdered; and the killer has still not been found.  The reason for sharing her story was to lift up the LOVE she RECEIVED from others during this traumatic time...

especially the LOVE of her grandmother, her mother's mother.  Her grandmother found it in her heart to still LOVE even with the tragedy that had come to her daughter.  My friend, the young woman, learned to LOVE because of her grandmother's love.  She received love...

RECEIVING is LOVE!


"What No One Wants to Talk About at Christmas."  The title of this blog captured my attention the other day as I read Martys Musings.  At first I was interested in what could be so hard to talk about at Christmas...

GRIEF...

That is what no one wants to talk about at Christmas; yet, grief happens.  But, as this post shares the memories of a child and a special gift from a beloved sister - now gone at such a young age due to a heart attack - 

and the blessings of RECEIVING three adopted siblings "God gave us at just the right time would provide a distraction and a new focus that changed our lives"...

RECEIVING is LOVE!


RECEIVING is not easy; I don't find it easy to RECEIVE from others...

because I am a Giver.  I find it hard to accept what others wish to give; I am on the opposite side of where I am comfortable...

Yet I am finding it easier and easier to RECEIVE what others have to offer because I am learning that others have a need to GIVE just as I do!  And...

RECEIVING is LOVE!

During the Advent/Christmas Season, we continuously RECEIVE the LOVE that Jesus Christ our Savior GIVES to each of us!

My prayer to you and yours during the remaining days of the Advent/Christmas season, and into the New Year, is that you, too learn:

RECEIVING is LOVE!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read my post today! I appreciate your reading and commenting - your comments are a welcome encouragement for me to continue one of my favorite things - writing!

You are special to me; and your words help in more ways than I can number...Thank you just isn't enough!