Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Patriot Service Dogs - Fund-raising Retreat



When I first met Justice,  he was quietly lying under a table where a group of ladies were scrapbooking - right in the middle of a craft store!  I didn't even know he was there...

Until we all got up to leave for lunch!  And, there he was - joining the ladies for our stroll down the sidewalk to the restaurant where he quietly lay while we enjoyed a delicious lunch.  Yes, he moved around a bit to greet everyone; but if I had not joined them for lunch, I would not have known he was there!

This was the first time I ever heard of Patriot Service Dogs  - and I was excited to learn more!

My friend, who is one of the above-mentioned scrapbookers, co-founded this organization back in 2009.  And, in 2011 she organized the first Craft Weekend Fundraiser I say "craft" because there were also people sewing or quilting or knitting or crocheting, in addition to the scrapbookers!

Since that first "Puppy Crop", I have attended three more scrapbooking events organized to raise funds for PSD.


Me and Justice

So, what is Patriot Service Dogs?  This information is taken from their website, Patriot Service Dogs:

"Patriot Service Dogs, Inc is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to helping our disabled military community gain a sense of independence through their partnership with a well trained service dog. Patriot Service Dogs was founded in July of 2009 with offices in Jacksonville & Belleview. At the time of our incorporation, we had 7 founding members with an active and dedicated board. Patriot’s has grown to over 100 active volunteers."

As part of their training, the puppies are taken on a number of different outings; these outings or training sessions helped them learn what to expect when accompanying their "owners". 

So, they have been on trolleys in St. Augustine; to Disney World; out to dinner (or lunch) at various restaurants; to the mall and other stores; in places where they had to open doors, or walk up or down steps...you name it, I'm sure they've "been there, done that"!

There is more information about training and various activities of PSD on the website mentioned above.

During the last scrapbooking retreat fund-raiser, I had the opportunity to spend one night with one of the puppy raisers and Jerry:
Me and Jerry

I observed, first-hand, how Jerry was trained to "fetch"...not a ball or what you might think a dog would normally be trained to do!  He was following his command to "bring me a towel" - and he continued to go back for as many as were lying on the floor, until his task was finished.  He also had other commands that he followed while we were getting ready for our day.

I was very impressed, as I am whenever I come across any of these awesome service dogs!

SO...

I am excited to be planning to attend another fund-raiser for PSD in May 2015; and have been invited to "spend the night(s)" with Jerry and his puppy raiser...

I am sitting on the row just behind the dogs, wearing a
black t-shirt, with Jerry near my feet, and his puppy raiser,
Janet, next to me in the red t-shirt.

Since the event is a fund-raiser, I will be asking for sponsor-ships so that I may attend; my spot is already reserved from the first donation!  In addition to seeking donations, I will be "selling" hand-made cards, asking only for donations in whatever amount is desired.

If anyone is interested in sponsoring my attendance, please let me know.  I have a PayPal account, or you can send me a private message or e-mail and I can give additional information.  You can also donate through the PSD site; but if you donate through their website, please be sure to mention my name so the funds go towards my "account".

Thank you for reading this post and for even considering a donation!



14 comments:

  1. Oh Barbara, what a wonderful organisation (really great idea)...and what a great idea to do sponsored craft events....I'm a little 'low on funds' (shall we put it that way?!)...but I will see what I can do....I should definitely be able to PayPal something to you for May....[if only the shipping weren't so expensive; I have a lot of scrapbooking supplies I could donate, as I used to run a craft store at 'home' and still have a lot of that stock here with me...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Helen! That is so special that you would do all of that...I wrote the post to get the word out there for those that could or wanted to help out. Do not worry one little bit about being "low on funds" - that's partly the reason I did the post; because I am also "low on funds"!! But it usually comes through. In fact, one friend who cannot go wanted to sponsor someone, and picke me to donate the $25 initial "down payment".

    So neat to hear you had a craft store at home!! I think I do, too - because I have sooooo much stuff. That is why my craft room is so disorganized; and I really need to be organizing it. We usually have a "yard sale" during our retreats so once I can go through my stuff, I'll have some things for sell! Don't worry about trying to send anything; it IS expensive to send out packages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea and a great way to help unite dogs with people they can serve. Keep us posted on your fund raising as the time approaches. I, too, would be willing to donate a little :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I already have $25 towards a deposit to hold my spot; the total we HAVE to have is $100, but anything above that still goes to the organization...they DO have some expenses for the event, but get most everything donates, such as meals, etc. I will keep everyone updated with how it goes.

      Appreciate your comment!!

      Delete
  4. What an awesome organization. You are blessed to be involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I enjoy being around them and hope to be able to accompany them on more of their "training" outings this year!

      Appreciate your commenting!

      Delete
  5. What a great cause and a fun event! I am going to send this to my sister, who is an artist with a large dog/pet following... maybe she can help spread the word! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karrilee!! Anything that can be done to get the word out is great! I know I will be able to get the funds together; I already have $25 towards the deposit to reserve my spot for the event and will keep fundraising...anything above the $100 is just that much more that goes to the organization!

      Appreciate your commenting!

      Delete
  6. What a blessing and wonderful event. We have many friends that are veterans, and the military is of course near and dear to my heart. I can't wait to hear how the event goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! We have had several now, and they are usually awesome! A lot of things are donated for raffles; food is donated for meals (from different restaurants, etc.); and those that attend pay the initial $100 that covers the conference room, etc. and anything above that initial $100 is 100% donations for the organization.

      It is a FUN event, and I will share more about it once it's over...you can see more about these events on their FB page...just search Patriot Service Dogs.

      And thanks to your freinds and/or family for serving; I am also from a military family - which is a big reason why I support this organization.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  7. Can you PM me your paypal info. What a cute dog? Great cause. Went to American Sniper last night. Am feeling extra grateful for those who serve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, and for being willing to help this organization. Isn't the puppy a cutie? He is one of their newest "recruits" that we met at the puppy crop last September.

      My paypal uses my e-mail london_b@bellsouth.net. Thank you again!

      Delete
  8. this is a WONDERFUL organization .... I will share this with others ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! I appreciate that very much!! Others have offered to donate; but not sure if they will...no worries! It will come...

      Appreciate your sharing!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read my post today! I appreciate your reading and commenting - your comments are a welcome encouragement for me to continue one of my favorite things - writing!

You are special to me; and your words help in more ways than I can number...Thank you just isn't enough!