Monday, January 19, 2015

RJD Day 10 Prompt - Our Last Goodbye

Sharing Day 10 of Random Journal Day's 21 "Days of Journaling in January"; I am a bit behind in posting, but still plan to get all of them done!  Check Dawn's blog here and join the fun!


The prompt for Day 10 is "One Day Visit" and allows us to write about having the opportunity to visit a loved one who has passed for one day; what we would ask that loved one?  What would we do while we were together?

It was a Sunday afternoon - I know that because Sundays were our days.  I would stop by after church and we would visit.

Sometimes I would pick up a hamburger and some fries to eat while you ate your lunch.  Or I would plan ahead and order a lunch so I could eat whatever was on the menu that day (the "chef" was really great!!).

I don't remember that Sunday very well...

All I know - NOW - is that it was our last day together...

Our Last Goodbye!


I didn't know it would be our last goodbye!

Had I known, perhaps I would have stayed longer; I would have brought your favorite, a strawberry milkshake; or a sausage biscuit.  I would have played a game of Scrabble or helped you put together the puzzle you were working on.

These are things we did together - on Sundays after church.

There were also the Saturdays that I brought your grandchildren and great grandchildren to visit.  We all enjoyed playing Bingo, especially your oldest grandson.  Sometimes one of your sons would be in town and we would bring bar-b-que and have lunch together in the private dining room - 

I think you really enjoyed those times we spent together, no matter who all came to visit!

BUT...

If I had just one more day to spend with you, I would make sure I told you how much I appreciated everything you have done to help me to be the person I am today.

I would tell you how proud I am to be your Daughter; to have such a loving, kind, understanding, supporting, God loving woman for my mother!

I would talk with you about your childhood days: growing up without a mother; growing up as a twin.  I would talk to you about school and meeting the "man of your dreams", your "sweetheart" - my father!  I know the story - most of it...but I long to know more; to hear you talk about how much in love you two were!

I would ask about your family: your father, aunts, uncles, your older sister, and other people who helped to raise you and my uncle, your brother.

I would take all the pictures of people I was trying to identify; I know you would be able to tell us who they were so we could treasure them in our albums!

I would tell you how much I love you!

We wouldn't even have to do anything; or go anywhere...just be together for that one last day...

Because I never really said goodbye...

And I long for that last goodbye; I long to be able to linger just a bit longer - and tell you goodbye, for one last time.

And maybe I can bring a strawberry shake or sausage biscuit, and we'll play a game of Scrabble, or finish the puzzle...


I know we will be together again, one day, when we meet at Heaven's Gate - 

Because I know we really will meet again!  And I will join you and my Dad and all the others who will be welcoming me into God's Kingdom where we will be together - forever...

And there will be no more goodbyes -

We already said Our Last Goodbye!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read my post today! I appreciate your reading and commenting - your comments are a welcome encouragement for me to continue one of my favorite things - writing!

You are special to me; and your words help in more ways than I can number...Thank you just isn't enough!